Форум Союза Славянских Общин Славянской Родной Веры: The herbal therapy: an introduction. - Форум Союза Славянских Общин Славянской Родной Веры

Перейти к содержимому

Страница 1 из 1
  • Вы не можете создать новую тему
  • Вы не можете ответить в тему

The herbal therapy: an introduction. Оценка: -----

#1 Пользователь офлайн   Ястреб

• Продвинутый пользователь
  • PipPipPip
  • ГородИерусалим

Отправлено 23 Декабрь 2010 - 10:05

As we can see in recorded ethnographic materials 19th century, Slavic had no particular difference between eatable and medical using of herbs. The same plant could be used both as remedy and as food depending on the way of treatment. So may be this could not, of course.

In this introduction we will speak only about medical using of plants by our predecessors. We will not mention sacral aspects since we are preparing another special article about these aspects.

So, what benefit of medical plants can get the modern human? Why the people are using herbs meanwhile they can take a lot of preferences of the drugs, recommended by contemporary physicians? Even, there are a lot of medications made of plants!

The answer was clear for a person of ancient culture: it is impossible to decompose a living being for component elements. “The whole is more than sum of its parts” thought people in that time. It is impossible to create artificially a plant as well as to reach the clinical effect in vitro witch nature riches in vivo. That is why a potion made by herbalist of natural plants is more vital than synthetic drugs.

Moreover, one of pharmaceutics targets is extracting from raw herbs some active agents. Preparation thereby acts more heavy and side effects occurs more often and evidently.

Today we are shall speak about basic principles of medical herbs collection.

To gather herbs is better while the weather is warm and clear, if something different is not prescribed. Flowers are better to collect at the beginning of florescence. Herbage is better to collect before they begin to flower or during the flowering. Seeds and fruits are gathered in a period between they became mature, if something different is not prescribed also. Roots and rhizomes – in late autumn an early spring, cortex – in late spring.
Of course there are some exclusions.

If an herb is not using immediately after being collected it should be kept for future use. There are several ways for laying-in but the most typical are drying and alcoholic extraction. Also we can mention some other methods such as oil extraction, conservation with honey, strong alcohol, vinegar or wine, freezing, preparing of ointment etc. Each of them need special competences.

The optimal place for herb drying is a volume beneath a roof which is dry and hot by the sun of summer. If you don’t have such conditions it is possible to place herbs in a shadow of a tent for a day time and keep from wet. In general it takes about 3 days.

Roots and rhizomes is recommended to cut for fragments about 10 cm (3,9 ins.). Rhizomes additionally ought to be cut lengthwise to dry more carefully.

Dried plants, roots and rhizomes is better to store in dry, ventilated, dark and cool place. A storage life for most herbs is 1 year and 2-3 years for roots and rhizomes, but is better to renew your herbal stock every year.

Our recommendation is to collect each plant in its biotope. I.e. don’t take heliophilous plants near swamp or shadow places.

Let’s speak about rhizomes of one the most harmless and useful plant, Elecampane Inula, botanic name “Inula Helenium”, collected and prepared as described above. It is known that the elder is the plant the more powerful it is.

Inula in Russian “Devyasil”, “Somnit” and some other folk names, in Russia the plant is spread over European part, South Ural, Siberia. Rhizomes are gathered in autumn after fading. In my opinion, the older plant is the more powerful is rhizome.

There are no poison parts in this plant. The rhizome of Inula is large, easy for drying, storing and remedy preparing. Also this plant is recognizable and not seldom in field. So I recommend you to enter the world of medical herbs with this plant.

The Inula was mentioned in almost each Herbal till 20th Century. At least one of Russian Herbals even describes its sacral action: “It exorcises preternatural essences”.

Inula is a marvelous as general tonic, expectorant, anti-inflammatory.

So, for what kinds of illness Inula is used?

1. For treat uncomplicated bronchitis and tracheitis, as expectorant.
2. Subacid gastritis.
3. Depressive condition.

Surely Inula is recommended for using as total health-supporter for season depression.

Look forward for future receipts! And please note that using of herbs can not replace of doctor’s recommendations.

Best regards,
Author.

Ps Please note: “AMOR NON EST MEDICABILIS HERBIS! =)

Crosspost: http://lodya.ru/foru...p?topic=10798.0

#2 Пользователь офлайн   Волк Бусый

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 23 Декабрь 2010 - 15:02

Right! Thank you, Teterevyatnik! Make sure not forget to transfer measures. (cm, ins.)
By the way there is a steady tradition to treat disease in Russia. I always do it and I'm rare to buy any chemical poisons in pharmacies.

#3 Пользователь офлайн   Ястреб

• PipPipPip
  • ГородИерусалим

Отправлено 23 Декабрь 2010 - 17:09

Просмотр сообщенияВолк Бусый (23 декабря 2010 - 15:02):

Right! Thank you, Teterevyatnik! Make sure not forget to transfer measures. (cm, ins.)
By the way there is a steady tradition to treat disease in Russia. I always do it and I'm rare to buy any chemical poisons in pharmacies.

"Pharmacos" mean both "a drug" and "a poison" in Ancient Greece for example.

"chemical poisons in pharmacies" is incorrect phrase. Herbs and chemical medications are very important, if physician is profi.

And dangerous, if ignoramus try to heal.

#4 Пользователь офлайн   Волк Бусый

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 23 Декабрь 2010 - 22:25

Цитата

Herbs and chemical medications are very important

Th first is they're different, that's I wrote. Also I wrote "rare" when I buy medicaments. But in general the whole pharmaceutical mafia doesn't provide assistance to me. In particular, it concerns the ever-increasing prices.

#5 Пользователь офлайн   Per

• Новичок
  • Pip

Отправлено 24 Декабрь 2010 - 05:05

Просмотр сообщенияТетеревятник (23 декабря 2010 - 10:05):

As we can see in recorded ethnographic materials 19th century, Slavic had no particular difference between eatable and medical using of herbs. The same plant could be used both as remedy and as food depending on the way of treatment. So may be this could not, of course.

In this introduction we will speak only about medical using of plants by our predecessors. We will not mention sacral aspects since we are preparing another special article about these aspects.

So, what benefit of medical plants can get the modern human? Why the people are using herbs meanwhile they can take a lot of preferences of the drugs, recommended by contemporary physicians? Even, there are a lot of medications made of plants!

The answer was clear for a person of ancient culture: it is impossible to decompose a living being for component elements. “The whole is more than sum of its parts” thought people in that time. It is impossible to create artificially a plant as well as to reach the clinical effect in vitro witch nature riches in vivo. That is why a potion made by herbalist of natural plants is more vital than synthetic drugs.

Moreover, one of pharmaceutics targets is extracting from raw herbs some active agents. Preparation thereby acts more heavy and side effects occurs more often and evidently.

Today we are shall speak about basic principles of medical herbs collection.

To gather herbs is better while the weather is warm and clear, if something different is not prescribed. Flowers are better to collect at the beginning of florescence. Herbage is better to collect before they begin to flower or during the flowering. Seeds and fruits are gathered in a period between they became mature, if something different is not prescribed also. Roots and rhizomes – in late autumn an early spring, cortex – in late spring.
Of course there are some exclusions.

If an herb is not using immediately after being collected it should be kept for future use. There are several ways for laying-in but the most typical are drying and alcoholic extraction. Also we can mention some other methods such as oil extraction, conservation with honey, strong alcohol, vinegar or wine, freezing, preparing of ointment etc. Each of them need special competences.

The optimal place for herb drying is a volume beneath a roof which is dry and hot by the sun of summer. If you don’t have such conditions it is possible to place herbs in a shadow of a tent for a day time and keep from wet. In general it takes about 3 days.

Roots and rhizomes is recommended to cut for fragments about 10 cm (3,9 ins.). Rhizomes additionally ought to be cut lengthwise to dry more carefully.

Dried plants, roots and rhizomes is better to store in dry, ventilated, dark and cool place. A storage life for most herbs is 1 year and 2-3 years for roots and rhizomes, but is better to renew your herbal stock every year.

Our recommendation is to collect each plant in its biotope. I.e. don’t take heliophilous plants near swamp or shadow places.

Let’s speak about rhizomes of one the most harmless and useful plant, Elecampane Inula, botanic name “Inula Helenium”, collected and prepared as described above. It is known that the elder is the plant the more powerful it is.

Inula in Russian “Devyasil”, “Somnit” and some other folk names, in Russia the plant is spread over European part, South Ural, Siberia. Rhizomes are gathered in autumn after fading. In my opinion, the older plant is the more powerful is rhizome.

There are no poison parts in this plant. The rhizome of Inula is large, easy for drying, storing and remedy preparing. Also this plant is recognizable and not seldom in field. So I recommend you to enter the world of medical herbs with this plant.

The Inula was mentioned in almost each Herbal till 20th Century. At least one of Russian Herbals even describes its sacral action: “It exorcises preternatural essences”.

Inula is a marvelous as general tonic, expectorant, anti-inflammatory.

So, for what kinds of illness Inula is used?

1. For treat uncomplicated bronchitis and tracheitis, as expectorant.
2. Subacid gastritis.
3. Depressive condition.

Surely Inula is recommended for using as total health-supporter for season depression.

Look forward for future receipts! And please note that using of herbs can not replace of doctor’s recommendations.

Best regards,
Author.

Ps Please note: “AMOR NON EST MEDICABILIS HERBIS! =)

Crosspost: http://lodya.ru/foru...p?topic=10798.0

Hello.
Thanks for very intersting regarding medicin herbs and plants.
Per

#6 Пользователь офлайн   Волк Бусый

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 24 Декабрь 2010 - 11:43

Oh, Per! Hello, bror! Hvor er du? Gjør deg selv hjemme.

#7 Пользователь офлайн   Велизар

• Иконка
  • ГородКалуга, палеоевропейцы

Отправлено 29 Декабрь 2010 - 19:48

As a biologist by education, I would like to tell you about some useful properties of one herb. A tansy. Tanacetum vulgare (lat). This plant is good for tourists and for those who has too sensitive digestive system. If you feel discomfort in a stomach after having eaten a yesterday's shish kebab in the morning, make a hot tea with a tansy. It not so tasty, as a real green tea, but very useful. It heals wounds outside and inside the body. The beverage will help you to digest fat meat and avoid food poisoning because of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of a plant. Yellow flowers are more active, than leaves.

#8 Пользователь офлайн   Хранибор

• PipPipPip
  • ГородКалуга

Отправлено 30 Декабрь 2010 - 15:08

Where we can find it?

#9 Пользователь офлайн   Aelfgifu

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 30 Декабрь 2010 - 18:27

This is a very interesting article. I've had an interest in this subject for some years now and have studied a little of the old English herbal healing tradition. Some famous herbs in our tradition are -
Chervil ( http://www.gardensab...bChervilMed.htm )
Fennel ( http://www.vortexhea...net/fennel.html )
Garlic ( http://www.gardensab...rbGarlicMed.htm )

It seems that an essential aspect of traditional herb use was the singing of magical songs over the herbs during preparation and application. Many such surviving herbal charms have a Christian flavour, but it is felt that there is enough trace of Heathen sentiment in them to suggest that they were originally pre-Christian. Here's an example of one http://www.heorot.dk/woden-9herbs.html, and here's a piece about the Anglo-saxon healing tradition as a whole http://www.heorot.dk...n-9herbs-i.html

It's interesting to note that the singing of magic songs over remedies and wounds would seem to be an Indo-european thing, since the remedies of the Yayur-Veda require similar sonic input also.

I look forward to more info about the Russian herbal tradition! (Elecampane/Inula and Tansy are still used in herbal medicine over here too - such usefulness shouldn't go out of fashion!)

#10 Пользователь офлайн   Волк Бусый

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 31 Декабрь 2010 - 18:43

Sure! I promise we shall share here common way by with our knowledges about Mysterious of Herbs. Our Ancestors (yours and ours) were rather wise then we are today!

#11 Пользователь офлайн   Aelfgifu

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 01 Январь 2011 - 21:19

Просмотр сообщенияВолк Бусый (31 декабря 2010 - 15:43):

Sure! I promise we shall share here common way by with our knowledges about Mysterious of Herbs. Our Ancestors (yours and ours) were rather wise then we are today!

Yes indeed, it seems that when modern pharmaceuticals began to take over from traditional herbal remedies in the 19th century many folk healers lost out to people peddling the newer stuff and "cornering the market" so to speak. Sadly a lot of the old knowledge, traditionally passed down through families, was shelved and it is only now that we are rediscovering it (and as was mentioned in a previous post, why such as use of the whole plant is more beneficial than isolating the most "active" constituents). I believe in a mixed traditional/modern approach to medicine, and would maintain that people can make remedies at home for many minor ailments using traditional herbal formulae which are even more effective than the modern pharmaceutical versions (and a lot cheaper!) An example is mullein (Verbascum thapsus) eardrops - these are at least as effective, if not more so, than any commercial pharmaceutical remedies out there, and have been used for hundreds of years to treat earache. They're well worth a try - here's a recipe from the BBC TV programme "Grow Your own Drugs" (nothing to do with narcotics LOL! :lol: )

Цитата

Mullein Ear Drops for Waxy Ears

2-3 tbsp fresh or dried mullein flowers
2-3 tbsp fresh or dried lavender flowers, or a few drops of essential oil of lavender
250ml extra virgin olive oil

1. Wash the mullein flowers. Put into a jar with the lavender flowers (if using) and cover with olive oil. Leave to steep for several days in sunlight. Alternatively, if you need to infuse the oil more quickly, place the flowers and olive oil in a small pan and warm on the stove on a very gentle heat for several hours.

2. Strain the infused oil through muslin, add a few drops of lavender essential oil (if using), and filter into sterilized dropper bottles.

USE: For adults and children over 2 years of age, place 2-3 drops into the affected ear, morning and night, for at least 5 days. The best way to do this is to lie down, sore ear facing up. Gently pull the outer ear backwards, and drop the oil (at room temperature) into the ear canal. Gently massage the area in front of the ear to encourage the oil to flow into the ear canal. Remain lying down for a few minutes. When you stand up, wipe any excess oil with a tissue.

CAUTION: If the ear is very painful, discharging matter, or you suspect an ear infection, you must see your doctor. Do not use the drops if you have (or suspect you have) a burst eardrum.

STORAGE: Will keep in a cool dark place for 3 months.

#12 Пользователь офлайн   Велизар

• Иконка
  • ГородКалуга, палеоевропейцы

Отправлено 02 Январь 2011 - 10:17

It seems to me, we'd rather talk about safe plants in this topic. An incorrect use of some herbs may harm your health.
Ok. Another very popular plant - a willow-herb. Living in our apartments, some peaple beleive, that tea exists in bags and for taste only. The willow-herb expands habitual sides of this drink. It is not only tasty. Its leaves contain vitamin C up to three 3 times more than oranges. There are a lot of microelements and tannins. In medicine it is used at a peptic ulcer and gastritises. Besides, all plant is safe to use from a root (as a food instead of potatoes) to flowers. The best place to find it as well as a tansy is where high long-term grasses grow. A willow-herb is very easy to recognize because of its narrow long leaves and pink flowers.

#13 Пользователь офлайн   Aelfgifu

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 03 Январь 2011 - 22:13

Просмотр сообщенияВелизар (02 января 2011 - 07:17):

It seems to me, we'd rather talk about safe plants in this topic. An incorrect use of some herbs may harm your health.
Ok. Another very popular plant - a willow-herb. Living in our apartments, some peaple beleive, that tea exists in bags and for taste only. The willow-herb expands habitual sides of this drink. It is not only tasty. Its leaves contain vitamin C up to three 3 times more than oranges.

This is very useful to know, thankyou! I'm always on the lookout for more local sources of vitamin C! (I believe in trying to cut down on "food miles" - it seems wasteful to have to ship things in from abroad when we can grow things ourselves with the same, or better, nutrition!)

Цитата

There are a lot of microelements and tannins. In medicine it is used at a peptic ulcer and gastritises. Besides, all plant is safe to use from a root (as a food instead of potatoes) to flowers. The best place to find it as well as a tansy is where high long-term grasses grow. A willow-herb is very easy to recognize because of its narrow long leaves and pink flowers.

I'll be sure to look out for this one, and might see if I can get some seeds and grow some (I'm already planning my spring planting, though it's far too early to do anything yet!)

#14 Пользователь офлайн   Волк Бусый

• PipPipPip

Отправлено 03 Январь 2011 - 22:16

This is very useful to know, thankyou! I'm always on the lookout for more local sources of vitamin C!
The national Russian and German food - sauerkraut (sour cabbage) - is full of vitamin C :P

Страница 1 из 1
  • Вы не можете создать новую тему
  • Вы не можете ответить в тему

1 человек читают эту тему
0 пользователей, 1 гостей, 0 скрытых пользователей